Posted On: 05/3/21 8:34 AM
After taking a week off, we are back with the latest “Weekly Recruiting Recap” and it’s a good one as last week in the great state of Tennessee was quite active with recruiting.
Several prospects added their 1st official offers while multiple others set up official visits for the summer, so it was a busy but fun, active week of recruiting to recap.
One of the more dynamic and athletic playmakers we have for the 2022 class is off the board as last week Memp. Central (TN) athlete Quincy Briggs Quincy Briggs 5'10" | ATH Memphis Central | 2022 State TN took himself off the market by committing to Yale.
The West Tennessee product could have chosen a different school, taken a different path but Briggs went for long term, not short term success as Yale offers such a big opportunity that he could not pass up. It was a chance to not only shine on the football field but better his life when his playing days are over and the Yale coaching staff could not be more ecstatic about his addition.
Headed to the Ivy League to play his college ball, Briggs immediately becomes one of the more athletic playmakers in the entire conference. He will have the opportunity to see the field immediately for the Bulldogs but will that be on offense or defense? That is something we will find out in time but Briggs is a natural athlete that will be given every chance to walk on the field and dominate as a true freshman.
Offer King of the Week
‘22 (S) D’Arco Perkins – Stratford: Offered by Miami, Michigan & Texas
– It was another big week of recruiting for one of the hottest recruits in the county as Perkins added three more Power Five offers to go along with his already deep list of suitors. Joining the mix for Perkins were the Hurricanes, Wolverines and Longhorns and those are three highly decorated programs that are always in the mix for conference championships.
Perkins has already scheduled two official visits with Kentucky and TCU and he might have been looking to set three other dates as well but now may slow things up now with these new offers added. I fully expect Perkins to make his college commitment prior to the start of his senior season.
– I could go in several directions here as several 2023 prospects attained offers last week but the main guy to mention has to be Maryville (C/OG) Cal Grubbs Cal Grubbs 6'4" | OL Maryville High School | 2023 TN . The 6’4 280 pound rising junior picked up his first Division 1 and Power Five offer last week from the Ole Miss Rebels and it won’t be his last.
Grubbs is a talented guy who I feel could be one of the best center prospects in the country, regardless of class and with this Ole Miss offer in hand, he could be on the verge of seeing his recruitment bust loose into a whole new level. The Rebels stud lineman plans to hit the road pretty hard this summer, hitting up tons of college camps in hopes of earning more offers and if he performs like he has in offseason camps thus far, those offers will flood his way.
– Milan (TN) linebacker Antwain Barham Antwain Barham 6'3" | LB Milan | 2022 State TN , Jr set up his first official visit last week with the Chanticleers of Coastal Carolina and the Sun Belt team could be someone to watch for his possible commitment. I don’t think Barham, Jr will commit anytime soon but the Chanticleers have been one of the more active programs with the Bulldogs linebacker and shown him great interest throughout the process.
Watch out for the Chanticleers going forward but several others are still in the mix for Barham, Jr, including several Power Five schools that have been sniffing around but have yet to pull the trigger on an offer.
– Everybody needs to watch out and keep an eye on Beech (TE) Jackson Long Jackson Long 6'5" | TE Beech | 2022 State TN going forward as he could be one of the top breakout stars over the coming months. After recently adding an offer from Florida St., Long added two more offers last week from Western Ky and Western Michigan but several Power Five programs have been looking into this Middle Tennessee pass catcher and could be on the verge of extending an offer.
– Two underrated West Tennessee prospects finally added their first official offers last week and it might be the start they were looking for to enhance their recruitments. MUS (WR) Clarkson Shoaf Clarkson Shoaf 6'2" | WR MUS | 2022 State TN picked up his 1st offer from Morehead St. last Friday and then later that night, Peabody (OT/G) Connor Meadows Connor Meadows 6'5" | OL Peabody | 2022 State TN added his first college offer from UT-Martin.
Shoaf is a big time pass catcher with a lot of Division 1, college football tools and I expect many other coaches to start looking harder at the Owls leading returning receiver very soon.
Meadows is one guy I thought might have already added his 1st offer before last week but everything happens for a reason. This is a great start for Meadows adding the Skyhawks offer and it just might be the start he needs to spurn his first one into many others.
Enjoying the content from Prep Redzone Tennessee?Subscribe For More